Frageelay. It's Italian.
Well, I won a major award. I mean, I won a major award!!
Yesterday, I attended the end of year assembly at Nate's school. The principal had asked me to come and I was expecting the usual, "Let's thank the PTA" kind of thing. Maren and I were sitting on the floor since we were late and I was entertaining her with things in my purse.
The principal started saying all these really nice things about some mom at school. I won't bore you with all of them, but my two faves were, "Phenomenal Mom" and "Our school's biggest fan". He went on a bit and then I could tell he was talking about me. Me. Oh. Crap. You see, I want to be essential, as in, everyone knows they can count on me and they need me, but I also want to be invisible, as in, please.do.not.make.me.walk.up.there.
So, he said my name and the teachers all stood and the kids were screaming like I was a rock star. And what did I do? Oh you know I did. I cried! I hugged the principal (shhh...don't tell Craig) and I met a famous Boise State football player who now plays for Detroit. It was awesome!
I got a plaque and Nathan has been looking for places to hang it. I asked him what he remembered about the speech and he said, "Well, he said you sub in the office". Okay. Craig asked Nathan if he knew why I was at school all the time. Nathan said it was because I love him. You bet buddy. When my kids are older and don't like me much, will you guilt them into being nice to me by pointing out my previous awesomeness? Do a sister a solid and hook me up!!
Sometimes the essential but invisible thing is kind of hard to pull off....but I like it this way. Also, I don't get blamed when things go wrong! Ha! Like at church, I am the perpetual 1st counselor. Like a worker bee, but never the queen bee and that is good enough for me. I think I've got a good thing going here.
Also, I hugged the BSU player.
La Salvation
4 years ago




3 comments:
Congrats on the award! I understand your sentiment though and I like the way you described it, "essential but invisible". I prefer that as well. However as I have learned sometimes to have the impact the Lord wants we need to step out and be visible. Then of course we have to wrestle with a different type of pride...and life goes on with different challenges. Look forward to seeing you in about 10 days!
Wish I could've been there. I would've done the "rock star" cheer too. You are so awesome! Your kids are so blessed, and yes, I'll tell them when they need to hear it.
LOVE this story. You make a difference! And you might try to be invisible, but Carrie, you can't hide. You cannot stop yourself from doing good and serving others. So every once in awhile, people will pull you out in the lime light, just to offer a bit of gratitude, and then you'll try to hide again. LOVE YOU LOTS my friend.
Post a Comment