Monday, February 16, 2009

From the Halls of Montezuma....



On Valentine's Day we took a load of Valentine's over to the VA to be hand-delivered by some of the cutest kids....mine!! I guess this is a new family tradition. And I like it very much. We visited and passed out cards...just saying thank you to these men and (1 woman!). It was a nice break to honor people who have actually sacrificed. Our society idolizes celebrities who get paid jillions of dollars to act like soldiers...and here we can honor some real ones. We had our own escort, our neighbor, who works there...so he took us everywhere! ICU? Yep. Critical care? Oh yeah. I asked the nurse if these men ever go home. She said not usually. I asked her how she dealt with that. She told me she came to terms with making their situation bearable. And she looked at me and said, "The same way you are right now". I guess I never thought we were making it bearable. So, I quit crying and bucked up and smiled and watched my children bring light to strangers. That's really what we're all here for: to bring light to each other. No fanfare. No parades. Just showing Christ-like to our brothers and sisters. I wish I were better at it. Not yet. But I'm trying!!!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

What great parents you are, and such good examples to the rest of us. Love you guys!

Joneel said...

YAY, keep spreading that light.

Casey said...

I guess I shouldn't even be surprised. I love seeing that you do these things. I wish I would come up with them myself. Next time will you blog about what you are going to do so we can all copy?

Casey said...

P.S. I agree with my mom, you guys are great parents. I wish I lived near so you could rub off on me a little.