Thursday, May 08, 2008

Ack!
I volunteered in Riley's class today and one of the students wrote an article for the class newsletter about hunting. I was really proud of her because she can't read or write very well, but she wanted to do it all on her own. She told me I could edit it later. So, I finish up with the kids and go to give her teacher the update. I tell her about the awesome article on hunting.
"Um, they're not really supposed to write about guns..."
"Really? That's so weird. This is Idaho after all, and lots of people go hunting."
"Well, maybe if you don't include the types of guns they use."
I really, really like her teacher. But come on. Are we banning the numbers 22 and 357?
"Let's learn our numbers...20, 21, 23...."
I am only a little frustrated because I went to Nathan's kindergarten registration last week and learned all about the new "wellness" policy. The nurse tells me, "We have a new wellness policy regarding treats for class parties. We'd like them to be healthy. Like cheese and fruit instead of a cookie."
"Oh, that's too bad." I really said that. The kids that are fat are not fat because they ate treats at the 3 class parties they are allowed to have all year. They are fat for a variety of reasons...lack of exercise and fatty foods they eat everyday being 2. So...all I'm saying is I hate being compelled to do things. I fully understand offering kids a choice. At some of the parties, some kids did take the cheese and pretzels over the cupcake. Good job! But at lunchtime, they "make" the kids take 3 things on their tray and then you can watch them dump the things they didn't want right into the trash. When Riley was in first grade, I packed her lunch with what she would eat. No sandwich, no fruit...maybe a granola bar, a milk and some fruit snacks. She would eat a bigger meal when she came home from school. The day the noon duty aide told her she should have a more nutritious lunch...I almost came unglued. Butt out! We are the parents! Not you! So...ack!
This post is dedicated to Casey for sitting in her air conditioned car instead of baking in the heat with her baby! You go girl!

2 comments:

Casey said...

Thanks for the dedication. As I was reading your post my blood pressure was rising along with yours, I'm sure. You wouldn't believe but in one of the school districts in AR the lunch people started going through all the kids lunches that they were bringing from HOME and taking out any junk food or anything unhealthy they didn't like. HELLO!!!! I am guessing they were keeping them for themselves. I don't know about you but the lunch people and alot of the people, at least in AR, that work at the school should be worrying about what they are eating, not my kids.

Sorry, for the ranting but I get so frustrated with these Nazi's at the schools telling me how I should parent. THanks for posting so I know I'm not the only parent feeling this way.

Neli42 said...

At our kids' school homemade treats are not allowed. Even if they are healthy. You have to bring stuff packaged commercially. I understand the reasoning (who knows about some peoples' kitchens, right?) but it is incredibly inconvenient, and frequently more expensive to be required to purchase the treat instead of whipping something up.