Saturday, July 05, 2008

SUPER-LONG-I-JUST-HAD-A-BABY-POST!!

So...I promise I will not share too much information. I will not be gross. So, read on if you dare.
Tuesday night I could not sleep (raise your hand if you are shocked). I can't even remember all the dumb things I did to waste time. There are a ton of infomercials on in the middle of the night. I really, really need the oven thing that cooks a completely frozen turkey in like 20 minutes or something. And have you seen the awesome foot pads you can wear to bed and it gets all the toxins out of your body? One night people, that's all I'm asking.
Anyway, we checked on Wednesday at 7. They took us to our LDRP room and started all the fun. Blood work. Here's this hot gown...don't tie it in the back! And the blood pressure cuff. The nurse wanted to start the pitossin right away. I gently suggested this not happen until they were ready for the epidural. My dr. had already given her the green light to start my epidural when she thought I was ready...so I was excited! Seriously, if you've been privy to any of my other AWESOME birthing stories, you know getting the go-ahead for the pain killer is a huge high for me.
So, a little while later, Stan showed up to make my day. The epidural dropped my blood pressure, which made me sick. Craig was getting breakfast while this was happening and he was a bit nervous when he came back. The alarm would go off and he would panic a bit. "I'm praying over here". She gave me a shot in the leg and one in my i.v. and I was a new woman. Then, the narcotic in the epidural made me itch. Like a heroin addict. Craig thought it was funny. Sort of. I asked about this strange side effect and my nurse said drug addicts often have this same reaction. That right there is enough of an incentive to NEVER do drugs. Good heavens that stunk!
Anyway, a little while and one doctor running across the street later, we had a baby!! A BEAUTIFUL tiny little girl. She was 6 pounds 13 ounces...our tiniest by far!! The hospital, the staff, the whole experience was fantastic! Room service (yes, that's what they call it) delivered food to us just minutes later. Craig left to go get the family and a few minutes later, my mom, dad and our other angel children showed up to meet the newest one.
They all loved her! Riley was kissing and admiring her new little sister. Nathan thought she was cute, but he was OBSESSING about my band-aids and tubes and whatnot. Lauren thought the baby was sweet, but didn't want to hold her. We made our way, like a little parade up to my room.
Nathan spent the time in my room building my self-esteem. "Mom, your belly is still big. Are you pregnant AGAIN?" And his face had this terrible look of disgust on it. Lauren spent her time unplugging my bed and trying to crawl under it. And Riley spent her time trying to get everyone to vote on a name. No dice sister.
The nurse came up in with some sweet, sweet Benadryl for my iv. Love that woman. And my itching subsided. The family left and I was alone with my sweet, sweet baby. She has the skinniest little feet with long toes. This is a surprise since all the other kids have/had Fred Flintstone feet. She has long eyelashes and the tiniest little cry. I think she sounds like a velociraptor. Good thing I don't sleep because I don't know if that little cry would wake me up.
She is amazing and wonderful and perfect in every way. She also has a ton of black/brown hair and makes the cutest little pouty lips when she is about to cry.
We came home the next day because, let's be honest, hospitals are no fun. Even my super cool hospital room with excellent view of Table Rock, room service food and wonderful nurses...I did want to go home! And if I didn't call you, (and that includes everybody) they didn't allow cell phones in the rooms. And even I do not have the confidence necessary to walk out to the elevators in that pink gown. Sorry charlie.

No comments: