I was driving to work to teach school in Azusa. The news, Bryant Gumbel to be exact, was telling us a plane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers. At this point, no one knew the plane had been used as a weapon. He was mentioning the weather was great and the visibility fine. They were assuming it was an accident. It seems funny to remember those moments when I was hoping it was an accident. And when we knew 4 planes were hijacked, I remember praying they had been stolen off the runway, so that no passengers would be on those planes.
As the horror of that day unfolded, I remember just being stunned.
In the 7 years since, we've tried to commemorate the day each September 11th. We have usually taken cookies to the Fire Dept. and the Police Dept. to remind them we have no forgotten that their brothers ran in when others were running out.
It is painful to remember. But we can't forget. This wasn't an isolated incident.
I hope you choose to remember and mark the day in your own way. And please don't forget the people who stand in harm's way...our soldiers, our police officers and our firefighters.
La Salvation
4 years ago




4 comments:
Thanks for this post. What a great idea to bring cookies to the fire and police departments. I was thinking about what I remember of it. I don't think I will ever forget.
what a great way to honor the day, with the cookies...thanks for the reminder and the recollection.
Good for you, and how fortunate your children are to have parents that set such good examples. Wish I would have thought of the cookie idea, but better late than never I suppose. Thanks for the post.
Miss you.
Fox news replayed the whole thing the other day. I sat and watched it and at first started thinking about where I was and how I found out. As I sat watching the memory of how I felt came flooding over me and had such a strong affect on me. I'm glad I got to see all that footage all over again. It was awful to watch but was a clear reminder of the whole event.
Next year, I am for sure going to do the cookie thing. Thanks for the idea.
Post a Comment